Basics on Shreya
Shreya Ghoshal was born in Rawatbhata, Rajasthan, India on the 12th March 1984. She is a Bengali Brahmin. Her father was an engineer at the Bhabha Atomic Research Center while her mother holds a degree in literature.
Ghoshal studied at the Atomic Energy Central School in Kota and Mumbai. She has a degree in Arts from the SIES College and hopes to do her Masters in Literature.
Shreya Ghoshal on Sa Re Ga Ma
As a child, she trained in Hindustani Classical Music under Maheshchandra Sharma.
She appeared on Zee TV’s Sa Re Ga Ma in a children’s segment which was hosted by singer Sonu Nigam. She won the competition. One of the judges Kalyanji convinced her parents to move to Mumbai and Ghoshal trained with him for nearly two years after which she received training under Mukta Bhide.
She was a contestant on Sa Re Ga Ma as an adult and was selected by the film director Sanjay Leela Bhansali to sing in Devdas. She went on to become a successful playback singer and sang songs in various languages like Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Marathi.
Shreya Ghoshal in Movies
Some of her most popular hits were Devdas (2000) – Bhairi Piya; Jism (2003) – Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai; Bhool Bhulaiyaa (2007) – Mera Dholna and Raaz: The Mystery Continues (2009) – Soniyo.
Shreya Ghoshal won the National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer in 2002 and 2006, for Bhairi Piya from Devdas and Dheere Jalna from Paheli respectively.
In 2006, Ghoshal was awarded the Filmfare RD Burman Award for New Music Talent. She has also won the Filmfare Best Female Playback Award four times for Devdas, Jism, Guru and Singh is Kinng, as well as for the Tamil movie Sillunu Oru Kaadhal.
- National film award for the years 2003,2006,2008,2009.
- Filmfare Best Female Playback Award for the years 2003,2004,2008,2009.
- Filmfare RD Burman Award for New Music Talent for the year 2003.
- Filmfare Best Female Playback Award (Tamil) for the year 2007.
- IIFA Best Female Playback Award for the years 2003,2004,2008,2009.
- Zee Cine Award for Best FemalePlayback Singer for the years 2003,2006,2008.
- Star Screen Award Best Female Playback for the years 2004,2006,2008.
- Apsara Award Best Female Playback Singer for the year 2008,2009,2010
- 2003 – Stardust Award as New Musical Sensation (Female) for Devdas
- 2005 – Andhra Pradesh State Award Best Female Playback Singer for Pillagaali Allari (Athadu) & Neeke Nuvvu (Modati Cinema) (Telugu)
- 2007 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Female Playback for Munbe Vaa (Sillunu Oru Kaadhal) (Tamil)
- 2008 – German Public Bollywood Award Best Singer (Female) for Yeh Ishq Haaye (Jab We Met)
- 2008 – Zee Astitva Award for Excellence In Music.